New York State welcomes its largest rooftop solar project



The largest rooftop solar energy project in New York state is now complete, says New York Governor Kathy Hochul. Located atop a building he owns in Orange County Medline Industriesthe nation’s largest privately held manufacturer and distributor of medical products, the 7.2 MW community solar project will help reduce energy costs for both the company and residents in the Mid-Hudson region.

“New York continues to set an example for other states with aggressive renewable energy development, and our commitment to clean and affordable solar power is key to our success in building a zero-emissions electric grid,” Hochul says. “The completion of this project is another important milestone for the Empire State and reflects a successful trend of private investment in community-focused projects that are now at the heart of our clean energy transition.”

Consisting of more than 17,000 panels, the community solar energy project produces 8.5 million kWh of electricity annually. It also brings New York City one step closer to its goal of installing 6 GW of distributed solar by 2025, accelerating its progress toward 10 GW by 2030.

The $8 million-plus project, located in the city of Montgomery, was built with nearly $5 million in private investment from the developer. PowerFlex – a national provider of solar, storage and electric vehicle charging solutions for commercial customers – and is now owned by Medline Industries.

The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) through more than 3 million dollars in project support NY-Sunthe state’s initiative will promote the spread of solar energy while lowering costs and making solar energy more accessible to homes, businesses and communities.

“Sustainable power sources are one of the key factors that will move us towards a future of environmentally conscious economic development,” says Hope Knight, CEO. Empire State development. “With this project, we are a proven leader in clean energy, demonstrating that bold partnerships between private and community stakeholders lead to unparalleled success in New York State.”

Medline’s distribution center, opened in August 2022, employs more than 700 people. The facility utilizes 40% of the energy produced by the solar project, leaving 60% for approximately 600 residents, who can join the system and receive credits on their electricity bill for an estimated 10% monthly savings. In exchange for a commitment to retain 344 jobs and create 266 new jobs, Empire State Development awarded Medline up to $10 million Excelsior Jobs Tax Credits.

New York State currently has more than 4,600 MW of distributed solar installed, with nearly 3,500 MW in the final stages of development. In 2022, New York will become the largest community solar market in the United States, providing nearly half of the nation’s community solar capacity.

David is a passionate writer and researcher who specializes in solar energy. He has a strong background in engineering and environmental science, which gives him a deep understanding of the science behind solar power and its benefits. David writes about the latest developments in solar technology and provides practical advice for homeowners and businesses who are interested in switching to solar.

Read More

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here