What Color Roof is Best for Solar?
Introduction: Solar panels are devices that convert sunlight directly into electricity or thermal energy. Depending on the type of the panel, the energy produced can be used for powering household appliances, generating heat and hot water, or even in industrial settings. When deciding to install solar panels on your roof, the color of your roof is an important factor to consider.
Grey and Grey-Blue Roof Colors
When it comes to the most ideal roof color for black solar panels, a lighter color, such as grey or grey-blue, provides the best options due to being far enough away from black to remain complimentary. When choosing a roof color, you should look for shades that are closest in tone to the design of your solar panels. For example, A black panel will look best when paired with a light grey or light blue roof.
The Benefits of a Grey or Grey-Blue Roof
The use of grey or grey-blue roofs with black solar panels offers a variety of benefits, including:
- Increased contrast: A grey or grey-blue roof creates more contrast between the panel and the roof, making it easier to identify the different parts and panel’s details.
- Improved visibility: The use of light colours also helps increase the visibility of the panel’s features and provides an overall enhanced look of the setup.
- Better aesthetics: The attractive colour of the panels when paired with a grey or grey-blue roof makes the overall look of the installation much more attractive and aesthetically appealing.
- Longer product life: Since there is a significant contrast between black solar panels and a lighter colored roof, it makes it easier for the panel to withstand environmental elements. This reduces the chances of the panel deteriorating too quickly and ensures a longer product life.
Black Roof Colors
Black roof colors, like black solar panels, are also an option for solar panel installations but are not considered to be ideal due to their proximity to the panel’s own dark hue. A black roof may blend in with the panel and make it difficult to identify different parts and features on the panel. Furthermore, a black roof will reduce the visibility of the panel and its features significantly, making it almost impossible to make out the panel’s details.
Bluer Solar Panels
Bluer solar panels offer an increased look of professionalism but at the same time are less popular owing to their difficulty in matching them to the roof’s colors. Bluer panels are more difficult to match than black because they are further away from the roof’s colors. For example, the bluer panels will look best when paired with a blue or dark blue roof.
The Benefits of a Bluer Roof
Using a bluer roof with bluer solar panels, like the aforementioned grey or grey-blue roof for black solar panels, also offers a range of benefits. These include:
- Improved visibility: A blue roof makes it easier to identify the panels and their features, making it the ideal colour to match with the bluer panels.
- Better aesthetics: A blue and bluer panel combination looks more attractive and professional than a black-black combination.
- Longer product life: The increased contrast of a bluer and blue roof helps to protect the panel’s features from the elements and ensures a longer product life.
When installing solar panels on your roof, the color of your roof is an important factor to consider. Ideal roof colors for black solar panels are those that are far enough away from black to remain complimentary, namely grey or grey-blue. The advantages of using a grey or grey-blue roof with black solar panels include increased contrast, improved visibility, better aesthetics, and longer product life. Black roof colors, while still an option for solar panel installations, are not as ideal due to their proximity to the panel’s own dark hue. Bluer solar panels, while less professional-looking overall, are easy to match to blue or dark blue roofs and offer improved aesthetics, improved visibility, and a longer product life. In conclusion, the color of one’s roof is a major factor to consider when looking to install solar panels, as the ideal roof color will largely depend on the type of panel being used.