Solar Panel Placement: Why the Roof is the Best Place for Solar Panels
There are many benefits to investing in solar power technology, from reducing energy expenses to helping the environment, making the decision to invest in solar energy an easy one. But when it comes to actually installing the solar panel system, one of the first decisions you must make is where the panels should go. The roof is the best place for solar panels because it receives the most uninterrupted sunlight throughout the day. Even if your roof doesn’t face south, there are still some effective solutions available.
Overview of Solar Panels
Solar technology is a way to capture the energy of the sun and convert it into electricity. This electrical energy is then used to power devices as well as heat and cool buildings. Solar panels are the most common form of solar technology, consisting of a number of solar cells that capture photons from the sun, thus converting sunlight into electricity. The electricity produced by solar panels is used directly in homes or businesses, stored in batteries, or fed back into the electric grid.
Benefits of Investing in Solar Panel Technology
There are several benefits to investing in solar panel technology.
- Reduce electric bill: Solar panels enable you to significantly reduce or even eliminate electric bills as the amount of energy used is lesser than the amount of energy produced by the solar panels.
- Reduce carbon footprint: Solar energy is a clean source of electricity, meaning it produces no emissions of carbon dioxide or other pollutants. This helps reduce your carbon footprint, making a positive contribution to lessening the effects of climate change.
- Increase property value: Installing solar energy usually adds value to a building. According to a 2017 report from the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory, adding solar increases the fair market value by an average of 4.1%.
- Tax credits and incentives: There are numerous federal, state, and local tax credits, rebates, and other incentives available for solar energy.
Best Place to Put Solar Panels
The roof is the best place to put solar panels because it receives the most uninterrupted sunlight throughout the day. Panels positioned on the roof can receive maximum available sunlight from 9am to 3pm when the sun is at its highest and most direct angle. Research shows that a south-facing roof can get around 90% of available sunlight.
Alternative Placement for Homes Without South-facing Roofs
If your roof doesn’t face south, you’re not out of luck. While it is still possible to capture energy from east and west-facing roofs, the energy production will be lower. Some solutions for roofs without a southern face include:
- Adding more or larger panels: Adding more solar panels and/or larger panels can compensate for less direct sunlight.
- Installing tracking systems: Installing tracking systems can allow the panels to tilt during the day and follow the sun, thus increasing energy production.
- Investing in higher efficiency panels: Higher efficiency panels, such as monocrystalline panels, can generate more energy in the same amount of space.
Other Placement Options
While the roof is the ideal location for solar panels, it’s not always possible or practical to put them on the roof. Here are some other placement options for solar panels:
- Ground: Solar panels can be mounted on the ground, either directly on the earth or fixed to concrete slabs. Ground-mounted solar panel systems require a much larger area and are usually more expensive to install.
- Building Walls: Solar panels can be mounted on walls, though this limits the collection angle and will generally produce less energy.
- Troply and Pole Mounts: Solar panels can also be mounted on tripods and poles, allowing the angle to be adjusted to better receive sunlight.
Considerations for Solar Panel Placement
When deciding on the best place to put solar panels, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:
- Shading Considerations: Any shade, including clouds, trees, nearby buildings, and even smog in the air can cast shadows on the solar panels and reduce the amount of energy produced, so it’s important to identify any possible sources of shade that could affect your solar panel installation.
- Proximity to Utility Electricity Lines: Make sure to check the regulations in your area and make sure that solar panels are installed at a safe distance from overhead power lines.
Investing in solar panel technology is beneficial for homeowners, financially and eco-sustainably. When it comes to installing your solar panel system, the roof is the best place to put solar panels because it receives the most uninterrupted sunlight throughout the day. If your roof doesn’t face south, there are still viable solutions such as adding more or larger panels, installing tracking systems, or investing in higher efficiency panels.
In conclusion, the roof is the best place for solar panels, though there are several alternate placements available such as the ground, walls, and tripods. When deciding where to install solar panels, keep in mind any shading considerations as well as safety regulations regarding proximity to powerlines.
When it comes to investing in solar panel technology, the benefits far outweigh the costs. Installing a solar panel system throughout your home is an effective way to reduce energy bills and make a positive contribution to the environment. We encourage you to make the jump and invest in solar panel technology today.
So the next time you’re asking yourself, “Where is the best place to put solar panels?” the right answer is the roof. With its direct sun exposure, a southern-facing roof is the ideal place for solar panels, though other solutions exist for roofs with alternate exposures. Investing in solar panel technology is a smart choice for your wallet and for the planet.